Tuesday, March 03, 2009

It's a Big Big World Out There


We recently realised that there is so much to see and discover out there that we really should be bringing the boys out of the house more often to touch, smell, and learn something new as much as they can. Be it just shopping, visits to a humble little zoo, a lousy sea life park, or really action packed game arcades, the kids can really have so much fun and learning opportunities!

I remember my parents bringing us out every single Sunday when we were kids. They would always come up with some place to go or something to do and never seemed to get tired of spending all that time playing and learning together with us.

Now as a parent, I find it so easy to hear myself say in my head, "Let's just chill out at home this weekend. John must be tired from working the whole week and I certainly am looking for some rest time while John can be around to keep an eye on the kids". Despite that temptation and all the reasons to stay home, when we actually pull ourselves away to bring the kids out, we really all have an absolutely great time! And it definitely is more recharging for the spirit and mind than just resting the body.

I'm foreseeing that there will be times when all this will be forgotten and we just succumb to sprawling out on the couch in front of the TV. Enjoying a movie together at home once in a while is great too, but I just hope it doesn't take us a whack in the head to remind us the importance of spending quality time on nurturing activities as a family!

No comments: